Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Today's purchases

While in New Orleans for 11 days I picked up this nice 1830's French milk glass dish handpainted with garden sprigs and the early 19th c French Empire Cordial glass.  


It has been a long time since I posted one of my "Today's Purchases" post. I think the last one was posted way back in Spring. This Summer has been very busy for me. I did a lot of traveling to my favorite city, New Orleans. In all the traveling and hustle and bustle I still found time to attend my favorite monthly estate sale. Twice this Summer leaveing to New Orleans a few hours after attending the sale. I got some amazing pieces from this sale. Local shops in Mobile, Alabama and in New Orleans. In "Today's Purchases" I highlight some of the amazing finds of the past Summer. 


The French early 19th century cut crystal Cordial glass is in good condition and has a wonderful flared shape. It's hard to find a set of glasses from this period. That's why when I see one I buy it.  


The Romantic period French milk glass dish has handpainted sprigs of garden flowers with a cut and gilt Moorish style rim. 


Although a little late in period for me I could not pass up these 3 late 19th century American brilliant cut glass cordials that were on the dollar table at the estate sale. 


Or this cut glass wine goblet for one buck.  

1850's Bohemian overlay Art Glass enamel landscape chalice 

The beaker has beautifully detailed hand painted rectangular medallion with canted corners of a mountainous view with a couple walking in it, German gold gilt title.

The chalice is cut white overlay over clear glass and has beautiful cut decoration and gold gilt tracery all over the piece.

The chalice is cut white overlay over clear glass and has beautiful cut decoration and gold gilt tracery all over the piece.

Star cut bottom

This is a exceptionally rare mid nineteen century Bohemian overlay cut glass chalice beaker with a beautifully detailed hand painted rectangular medallion with canted corners of a mountainous view with a couple walking in it, German gold gilt title. The chalice is cut white overlay over clear glass and has beautiful cut decoration and gold gilt tracery all over the piece. Star cut bottom.

Exceptional Museum quality Objects d'Art such as this piece were usually purchased by wealthy tourist in the 19th century taking the Grand Tour of Europe. Spa Beakers like this one often depicted view's of famous spa's where wealthy tourist would purchase and drink mineral waters from springs out of luxury goblets like this one.

Although I'm not A big beer drinker I can celebrate Oktoberfest in mid 19th century style with this rare 1850's Bohemian white glass cut to clear glass overlay beer stein. Found on the $10 table 



This Paris porcelain gilt sauce tureen was on the $5 table because it had chips. 


This late 18th century early 19th century English Blue feather edge Creamware platter was $45. I was happy to pay that on the first day of the sale as I have never seen one priced under $600. Feather Edge English creamware was inexpensive when new and was used daily in 18th and 19th century Gulf Coast homes. Because it was used more often then fine porcelain very little of it has survived today making it more costly then fine porcelain pieces.   


18th century creamware English platter with gadrooned and scalloped rim.

I found this 18th century creamware English platter with gadrooned and scalloped rim in a local Antique shop this Spring. 




This best thing I bought this Summer was this 1820's Late Federal Louisiana made Mahogany and walnut Plantation bed 


The headboard has beautiful flamed Cuban Mahogany veneer 


I love the beautifully turned post they remind me of post on Caribbean beds. 


The flamed Mahogany on the headboard is amazing 


On the bottom of the post the original Federal brass bolt covers remain. 


3 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to see where you place these lovely pieces!

    I have missed you!

    xo

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Divine Theatre you know I always find the right place for my items. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete