Monday, March 5, 2012

Azalea time in Mobile

A profusion of color spills out from a early 19th century Empire Old Paris porcelain vase atop a early 19th century pier table in my front parlor.


It’s that time of the year again, Azalea time here in Mobile. Mobile, Alabama is known as the Azalea city. Our climate is well suited for growing the beautiful flowing plant. The slightly fragrantly delicate flower has now graced Mobile’s gardens and yards for more then 250 years. Azaleas were first brought to Mobile during the middle of the 18th century by Frenchman Fifise Langlois after a visit to his childhood home in Toulouse, France.




Fifise brought back 3 different colors to Mobile in 1754 . Mobile displays over 50 different varieties growing now a days, the most famous Azalea in Mobile is the “Pride of Mobile” a watermelon colored azalea created in the 1950’s and named after the Azalea city. Here are some photos of the “Pride of Mobile” azalea from my garden displayed in Antique vessels throughout my home. Look for a up and coming post about the many kinds of azaleas grown all over Mobile.



Pride of Mobile Azaleas grace a mid 19th century parian urn


A mid 19th century oil portrait over looks a azalea filled parian urn


In my bedroom “Pride of Mobile’ azaleas are displayed in early 19th century cut glass atop a 19th century Japanese lacquered tray


In my bedroom “Pride of Mobile’ azaleas pop out of a mid 19th century Old Paris porcelain vase atop a Louis XVI bracket.

On a Mobile, AL made 1820’s Plantation desk “Pride of Mobile” azaleas are arranged in a early 19th century cut glass vase and trumpet shaped vase in the middle of a Sèvres porcelain inkstand

A profusion of "Pride of Mobile" Azalea color spills out from a early 19th century Empire Old Paris porcelain vase atop a early 19th century pier table in my front parlor.

3 comments:

  1. i would love to visit the South right now and see all the azelias and things blooming. It is wonderful. I have one jonquil in bloom, a major feet for the first of march in Missouri. Richard from My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flowers are rich and gorgeous, but I don't know that I would be filling a fragile porcelain antique with water and stems :) Cut glass yes, porcelain no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Helen

    The porcelain is fine with fresh cut flowers. You have to be careful putting the flowers in Antique porcelain but there is no damage to the porcelain from using them for fresh cut flowers. On the other hand antique cut glass crystal can be stained by hard water. I always used spring water in my Antique cut glass vases. I love to use my antiques for what they were made for only if I’m not damaging them.

    ReplyDelete