Sunday, February 6, 2011

Today's purchases

A pair of mid 19th century Rockingham glaze ware pottery pitchers with a pair of baluster shape brass candlesticks circa 1820

If you remember last months post http://andrewhopkinsart.blogspot.com/2011/01/todays-purchases.html I bought a English Parian 1840's Distin Family Quintet jug. There was a collection of early 19th century to mid 19th century Parian and Rockingham glazed jugs and pitchers and I now own three from this collection. I will have to do more research on them but they are American Bennington or English brown glazed pottery known as "Rockingham glaze ware pottery" This style pottery was very popular around the mid 19th century.

I'm not a big fan of pottery but pieces like this look great on bright colored bracket shelves in kitchens or in cupboards. The amazing pair of baluster shape brass candlesticks ca. 1820 was 60% off of $30.00





 
My favorite of the pair is the face pitcher as the face is so English looking. I also love the glaze as it almost resembles tortoiseshell.  

My favorite of the pair is the face pitcher as the face is so English looking. I also love the glaze as it almost resembles tortoiseshell.  

Shakespeare pot was missing it's lid


The beautiful vintage silk brocade album cover was .40 cents. The pair of early 19th century English transfer ware bowls were .40 cents each and the colorful History of France book was .40 cents. The Gold gilt and cobalt blue Old Paris porcelain saucer was 60% off of three dollars.

 
Vintage reverse painted eglomise panel vanity.

I could not get the stylish retro vanity out of my head as this piece has so much class even if it was made after 1860 my cutoff date for buying furniture for muself. Plus it was marked down to $75.00! I was trying to figure out how it would fit in with Period American Federal,Empire and painted Louis XVI furniture in my bedroom. If it is still there by the end of the day it might just have to come home with me.

Click on photo to see the reverse painted eglomise black & gold grape and leaf motif used on the panels

3 comments:

  1. Andrew you done good. I like the brown pottery too. I use it and brown and white transfer to decorate my laundry room. I also love brass candlesticks, one can not seem to have enough. Keep up the ggod hunting. Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed your pottery in one of your photo's. I have always loved the Rockingham glazed pieces ever sine as a child I saw pieces on a kitchen shelf in the 1850 House Museum in New Orleans. You are right you can never have enough brass candlesticks as I know how many pairs I own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent buys. I wouldn't mind the pottery. Kind of reminds me of Toby jugs which I love!

    ReplyDelete