Friday, October 15, 2010

Yesterdays purchases

Pair of Late Regency Sheffield plate wine coasters in the Rococo style 1830's.    
                                                                                          

I have not bought anything lately because I'm buying a nice Federal Southern made turned post bed, with the post ending in a acorn finial. I have not been to the shops in some time but thought I would go and see what I could find. In a antique mall I saw a late English Regency Rococo Sheffield plate wine coaster. about circa 1830. I have a reproduction one at home. But I have been looking for some old ones for some time. The price was right at $12.00. On the other side of the booth I found the other matched coaster for the same price. I wondered why they did not put them together. The pair was missing more silver then I would like but for the price they would archive the Old World passed down in the Southern family look I'm going for in my home. Used to place cut glass wine decanters on tables original, people today will also place a bottle of wine in them.

Pair of Late Regency Sheffield plate wine coasters in the Rococo style 1830's.    
                                                                            
                                                                           

Old Sheffield plate should never be re plated. Made prior to the mid 19th century when electroplating became popular and cheep. Old Sheffield plate was made by fussing then sheets of pure silver to copper. Electroplating is plating a very thin coating of Sterling silver to a base metal. Pure silver and sterling have a slightly different look. Although the silver on Old Sheffield plate is pure and heaver then Electroplated silver. Pure silver is much softer and other the years it wares away with every polish.

Pair of Late Regency Sheffield plate wine coasters in the Rococo style 1830's.    
                                                                                    

I'm not a big fan of silver due to the upkeep. When I was younger I collected sliver, I had problems keeping it up as it discolored. Unlike porcelain or cut glass that only needs slight dusting. Over the years I have collected a great deal of American coin silver flatware mostly from the East Coast. I also inherited a very nice set of heave 1803 French standard French silver flatware and other pieces of 18th century French silver. My pattern is the Olive pattern. I also collect Fiddle & thread and just plan Fiddle. Southern made and retailed coin silver is more costly but I have some pieces of that. For hollow ware I have collected what was called "poor mans silver" a sliver plated ware made in and around Sheffield England in the 18th century and early 19th century. Today Old Sheffield plate can bring as much as it's sterling counterparts if the piece is rare.


1840's Old Paris porcelain Trompe-l'œil dessert dish
                                                                                        

I also stopped by a shop that has been in business for 25 years that I only just heard about a few days ago. They sell French soap and Antique sterling silver. I bought some French milk soap for my face and a bar of white gardenia soap. On a shelf with other porcelain was the most exquisite Old Paris porcelain dessert dish with a Trompe-l'œil plum painted in the center. With a peach border and garden flowers delicately painted in reserves around Rococo Revival gilt scrolls. This treasure was $9.95. That's right under 10 bucks!!! I would have loved to see the rest of the wonderful dinner and dessert service. Dating from the 1830's or 40's. This plate might have been painted by the fame Jacob Petit or Ed. Honore, Ed made porcelain for the White House around this time. I love little odds and ends like this for my self to use on a daily bases. I could imagine that the English wine coasters and French Paris porcelain plate were shipped to the port of Mobile, Alabama shortly after they were made and used in fine entertaining for many great hospitable meals that the Deep South is known for.

1840's Old Paris porcelain Trompe-l'œil dessert dish
                                                                                

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete